"He must become greater; I must become less." John 3:30

Welcome friends to my blog dedicated to the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Please become a follower by clicking on the link below my profile and feel free to add comments. I'd love to hear what you think. Blessings on your day!!


Saturday, December 8, 2012

Untangled

  I don't know about you, but I am not a super organizer.  Our house would be a big hit on a new reality series-"Clutter Busters"!  It will never appear in those beautiful photography shoots in Better Homes and Gardens but it is home. I have long ago given up the idea that my skills would ever earn me the best housekeeper award but I am okay with that because it is not big on my priority list.  As you can imagine, when I put away our Christmas decorations for the year I don't have any lights that are wrapped neatly and stored in their original boxes.  So each year I have to go through the process of untangling the sets of lights.  The other day as I was doing this task I was thinking about how our lives can be just like that tangled mess.  

  I don't know if you've realized this but life is complicated.  Even when we are enjoying what we consider to be a good life there are bumps and twists and knots along the way.  I feel extremely blessed in my life right now but here is an example of how just a small hour of time can go awry. My teenage daughter wakes up late and realizes how little time she has to get ready.  The toast almost burns while putting a dog outside. After trying to find something to bring for lunch I am resigned to having to eat a school lunch not knowing what is being served. I put out dog number two and let dog number one in.  I try to finish getting ready as dog number two is barking to come in and dog number three is whining to go out.  I slap on some makeup and put out dog number three and wonder why they can't all go out at the same time.  I yell upstairs that it's time to go and hear that my daughter is not ready.  Trying to remain patient I put all three dogs in kennels. I run out to get yesterdays forgotten mail and come back in to hear my daughter screaming to turn on the breaker that has been knocked off by her hair dryer.  I go flip the switch and go to the car and try to breathe normally while the kid is rushing around the house trying to find everything she didn't pack up last night.  We leave ten minutes late and I listen to a very unhappy girl describe to me all the way to her school why it is my fault that this has happened.  As I drop her off I slump in exhaustion thinking about the work day looming ahead of me and how I'm going to get through it!

  Could you tell a similar story?  In the past a less patient, less wise self might have spewed hateful words at my young daughter.  Unfortunately my oldest daughter and husband could tell you about some of those times when I handled some tangled messes of life in a bad way.  Instead of trying to untangle them carefully like I have to with my strings of lights I would try to bull my way through not caring who got knotted up, squeezed or crushed in the meantime.  Over the years,though, God has shown me better ways to handle these jumbled situations with many nuggets of wisdom in his Word.  These are just an example of some of those.

      But the fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control.      Galatians 5:22

     A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.     Proverbs 15:1

    The words of the reckless pierce like swords, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.    
                                                                                                                        Proverbs 12:18

     "Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?"  Jesus replied, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.  This is the first and greatest commandment.  And the second is like it. Love your neighbor as yourself."  Matthew 22:36-37

     Love is patient, love is kind.  It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.  Love does not delight in evil,but rejoices with the truth.  It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.                                                                                     1 Corinthians 13:4-7


  This transformation of being able to handle life's stresses and demands and to act in a more Christ-like way did not happen over night.  God, like a potter molding his clay, has molded me.  Through prayer, faith and thanksgiving I have become a kinder, wiser and more gentle person.  I have learned to look at the race marked out for me and the prize--eternal life-that I will receive. Life's mangled paths become easier with the help of God, his Son and the Holy Spirit.  Every one of us can experience this life through Him.  So give him a chance and join me to get Untangled.    





No comments:

Post a Comment